Monday, October 3, 2011

Bucket List

One of Jeff's bucket list items is to take his favorite girl to see his favorite band. Friday night, he was able to cross that off his list:

Dream Theater

It was a memorable evening. Jeff squeezed his barrel chest into a 20 year old band T-shirt. I was in maternity jeans and a flowy purple top. We stopped off at Target to buy ear plugs. Guess what we left in the backseat of the car?

We then went to 5 Guys for burgers. We were in line and a line cook came running up to us:

Line cook: I love that band! I own that CD!! I think John Petrucci is the best guitar player ever!
Jeff: I know, man! He is awesome. Are you going tonight?
Line cook: What's tonight?
Jeff: They are playing at Kingsbury Hall.
Line cook: They're in town? They're here? Oh man, I gotta work! (walks away)
Me: Nice going. You ruined that kid's night.
Jeff: He must not be that big a fan.

***
We had to park at the stadium, which is about a mile from the concert hall. So, we started our long trek ( a mile isn't that bad, I know) to the hall. People were practically running past us. College kids on skateboards were whizzing past us. It was a beautiful night and I wanted to take my time. OK, I needed to take my time. I can't walk at the lightning quick speed I used to.

We got to the concert hall and went in to find our seats. Just as we sat down the lights went down. The opening band was some heavy metal band. I can't remember their name. They liked to swear. A lot. I don't swear. My ears were burning. I think they practiced their head banging. It was too perfectly timed. We left to get waters and some ear plugs. I looked at the crowds. I was the best dressed one. I am not bragging. All the guys had on rock T-shirts that were a size or two too small. The girls were in sweats. I felt so overdressed.

Finally, it was time for Dream Theater to start. I have to admit, it was an awesome show. I have gotten to know their music, because Jeff plays them for me all the time. He told me the concert would be a life changing experience. I don't know about life changing, but seeing his reaction to everything was so cool. It almost made up for the guy who's dinner did not agree with him (at least ten times during the concert). Almost.

No comments: