Have you seen this version of Persuasion? I love this version. I first saw it last year when PBS was doing their Jane Austen series on Masterpiece Classic. I had to buy it. I can watch it in little pieces here and there and love it.Anne Elliot is 27 and destined to never marry. When she was 19, Frederick Wentworth courted her. He proposed, but her family friend, Lady Russell persuaded her to turn him down because he has no name or fortune. 8 years later they meet again. He is now a Captain and has a vast fortune. Oh! I love this movie. You have to see it.
The little bookshelf beside the TV in our bedroom has 6 DVDs. They are all Jane Austen. Granted, I have every version of every movie, but these 6 are my favorite versions. On laundry folding night, you can find me in my room folding laundry and watching a Jane Austen movie.
Last night, we were getting ready for bed, and I turned on Persuasion. I was hooked. I told Jeff we could turn the movie off and go to bed, but he realized that my favorite part was coming up. He said, "You need to wait until they see each other again." What part was that? Anne had just found out that Captain Wenworth was not to marry Louisa Musgrove and Captain Wentworth had just found out that he was free to pursue Anne, as Louisa had just gotten engaged to Captain Benwick. It is raining and he ducks into a shop in Bath. Anne is waiting there for something. He looks up and they see each other at the same time. He pretty much professes that men do not get over a woman they loved so passionately. I love that part! Anne knows what he is talking about.
Jeff was curious as to why he didn't just come out and say, "I was an idiot. I love you." Why did he have to beat around the bush?
He loves Jane Austen movies as much as I do, so he wasn't teasing me. He just thinks they missed out on so much by being coy and not saying what is on their minds. I love that he knows my favorite parts of the movies, and when I sigh, it doesn't mean I love him less.
1 comment:
I really liked that adaptation - all except for the very end, where they Anne running around all over. I think they were trying to be artsy or something...? Unsure.
Did you like the new Emma? I am mixed on it.
Post a Comment