Friday, April 30, 2010

If I Had Known

I am packing and cleaning. I am easily distracted.

I was going through a box of old papers. I found this poem. I have no idea when I wrote it or who it is about. I am guessing it was at least 8 or 9 years ago. Enjoy, or not.


If I Had Known

If I had Known

it was the last time I would touch your skin
the last time I would look upon your face
the last time you would kiss my lips
the last time we would hold each other
the last time we would say goodbye,

I would have let my fingers caress you more
I would have gazed into your eyes longer
I would have never stopped kissing you
I would have been the last to let go
I would never have said goodbye.

Now my hands reach out for what is not there
my eyes search for something long gone.
my lips long for a taste insatiable,
my arms ache to hold what they once held,
my heart is unwilling to say goodbye.

No comments: