Monday, February 1, 2010

That's What I Get for Being Domesticated

I almost burned our place down!!
Saturday morning started like any around our place. I woke up and got ready for work. Jeff got up shortly after me and started getting ready for work. I ate a bowl of cereal while watching my DVR'd Little House on the Prairie. Both Jeff and I left at the same time. I locked the oven and set it to self-clean. I thought I was being so domesticated.
About an hour later Jeff texted me and told me he was heading home to pick up his badge for work. My thought? "Oh, man! I reminded to you take that with you, silly." A few minutes later he informed me that our apartment was filled with smoke and smelled awful. That's just how self-cleaning ovens are, right? A few minutes later he texted and asked if I took the pizza box out of the oven before I started it...
I didn't know there was a pizza box in there! I don't store things in my oven. Apparently, he put the pizza box in Friday night and I had no idea.
I rushed home to see what had happened. Our apartment reeked!! I opened windows and doors and turned the fan on. The oven was off, but we couldn't get it open. I was scared to leave the apartment for fear that the whole place would go up in flames.
We finally got the oven door open. The pizza box was pretty much ashes. Our whole apartment smelled like a Vegas hotel room. It still smells like a Vegas hotel room. I have every candle, Scentsy and air freshener I have burning or plugged in.
I was sitting in church yesterday and I could smell it on my dress. Jeff's freshly laundered and ironed shirt smelled like smoke. I felt better when we went to Sacrament meeting and the lady in front of me had over applied her perfume. She smelled like the air fresheners in the latrines up in Mirror Lake, or any campground for that matter. At least I didn't smell like that.
So, if you are trying to invite yourself over for any reason and I turn you down, just know I don't want to subject you to the aromas floating around our place.
Man, I want a new house soon!!

2 comments:

Ali said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the house!! It's always a little harder to walk away, when you have such great plans!! There will be another one!! But just because you walked away from that one, that doesn't mean you should BURN your current place down!! Thanks for the laugh!!

Joanna & Ben said...

yeah, that's my sister. Way to go champ. But, never fear, we've all done stupid things like that...like the time I was boiling eggs and forgot about them, talk about stink!