Monday, August 23, 2010

So Proud

Jeff is definitely becoming the true handyman.

Yesterday after dinner I was in a rush to clean up because the in-laws were coming over for dessert and a movie. I was in my zone- loading the dishwasher, rinsing the plates, putting away the salad and wiping off the counters.

I turned on the garbage disposal as I wiped down the stove. I turned back around to wipe my hands off and noticed the water was not draining. I was a little concerned, but I had to put the spaghetti sauce in Tupperware. I finished that and put the spoon on the counter and it flipped off right on the floor. I had just mopped that floor Saturday! I knelt down and wiped it up and as I stood up realized the water had still not drained in the sink.

"Jeff! I broke something!" He came in and inspected my damage. It was 6:30 and his parents would arrive any minute. So, he dumped a 1/2 bottle of Drano in the drain side and we just hoped for the best.

After the folks left we ventured back into the kitchen. No dent had been made in the clog.

Me: What are we going to do?
Jeff: Call a plumber?
Me: UGH!
Jeff: Let me try something.

He grabbed the plunger (gross) and tried that. Nothing happened. Then he did some other things. I don't know what because I was watching Drop Dead Diva. I got called in a few times to wash out a pipe with the backyard hose. But, after about 45 minutes I heard a WOOSH and ran into the kitchen. The sink had drained! The bucket we had placed under the sink caught it all. I was in charge of taking the bucket outside to dump it.

Note to self- no more spaghetti down the garbage disposal. Gross.

Let that be a lesson to you, too.

2 comments:

Joanna & Ben said...

way to go Jeff, so proud

The Ericksons said...

I'll just tell you know...don't put potato peels down there either. I learned that lesson after about 4 times. :)