We have one kid in our Primary class who, shall we say, is a challenge. He come with his grandparents sporadically, and while we love having him in our class, it can be tough on the days he shows up. He always has at least 5 toys in his pockets. Sunday it was a slinky, an Etch a Sketch, a bouncy ball and his Nintendo DS. They must stay in his pocket or I take them, which I have done a handful of times.
Yesterday I was teaching the lesson. He talked in the middle of the opening and closing prayer, he read out loud when someone else was reading. He walked up to the chalkboard and ran his nails down it while my back was turned.
After class, Jeff sat him down for a little talk.
Jeff: We love having you in our class. We are so glad when you come.
A: Yeah.
Jeff: So, why do you act the way you act? Is it for attention? Is there something you want to talk about?
A: I just want to be annoying. That's why I do it.
Jeff said some other things and they had a nice talk. But, the thing I learned is that this kid is honest. After Jeff's talk we went to the Primary room for singing time. This kid sat still and participated and was actually chosen to play part of the game. That was the first time that has ever happened. I hope, hope, hope he learned something yesterday.
2 comments:
wow...we have one that comes with hid grandparents too..He asked if I had a baby in my tummy and when I said yes he said he was going to punch me in the stomach...yeah...All the other kids gasped in horror and told him that was bad. So yeah, I understand that you want these kids to come but, sometimes, it's nicer when they don't.
sometimes it's the honest ones that are the hardest. ;) no, really, i have THE hardest time getting up in front of the kids to conduct (i am the sec in the prim pres right now), because those kids are so darn honest...like, "this is the worst thing in the world EVER" (referring to singing time), "i'm so incredibly BORED" (referring to primary in general), etc. still getting used to it.
Post a Comment